The Granville Recreation District (GRD) Board of Trustees has announced the intended location of the Granville Outdoor Community Pool. The proposed property is located at the southwest corner of Galway Drive and Cherry Valley Road (between Route 16 and Newark Granville Road).
The GRD has proposed an outdoor community pool in response to the community’s desire for an outdoor aquatic facility. With both leisure and competitive components, the pool would have something for everyone. The proposed pool would include a 25-meter, 8-lane lap pool including two 1-meter diving boards and a water slide. The pool would include a zero-depth entry area with interactive water play features and separate splash ground area. Additionally, there would be a large deck space with areas for sun and shade, a concession stand, a playground area and a grassy area for leisure or recreation.
The GRD has conducted a comprehensive process soliciting feedback from the Granville community over the past 2.5 years leading up to the selection of the Outdoor Community Pool location.
Community Needs Assessment – Spring 2010
• With assistance from REConomics, the GRD benchmarked the community’s perceived needs for recreational services, both in facilities and programming.
• An outdoor pool was identified as the first priority from community members in determining new facilities.
Feasibility Study – Spring 2012
• With assistance from Brandstetter Carroll, the GRD completed a feasibility study to determine the feasibility in the construction of new facilities
• The feasibility study defined the details of construction costs, operating costs, market and economical indicators and revenue projections for an Outdoor Aquatic Center and indoor Community Center
Survey – June 2012
• With assistance from Leisure Vision ETC, the GRD sent surveys to every household in the recreation district (3,671 households)
• The survey gathered feedback on resident threshold in determining costs to build, maintain, and operate facilities
• 1,168 completed surveys (32%) identifying community desire to construct an Outdoor Aquatic Center
In determining the location selected for the Outdoor Community Pool, the GRD Board of Trustees solicited feedback from its residents, partners (Granville Village, Granville Township and Granville Schools) and Brandstetter Carroll. The GRD Board of Trustees determined that the location would ideally be sized so that in the future, if the community desires, the property could accommodate a community center (8-10 acres). Nearly 20 sites were evaluated using the following factors to determine the premier site location:
• Access to Village water and sewer
• Location accessible by pedestrian, bicycle and vehicle
• Easy connectivity to the existing Bike Trail
• Located close to the center of the GRD population
Click here to view site selection map.
Click here to site reasons for site selection.
Outdoor Community Pool Concept Plan
Click here* to view conceptual plans on the proposed layout.
*File is approx. 18MB, may take several minutes to download based on your connection.
The GRD Board of Trustees approved action on July 26 to place the levies for construction and operation of the Outdoor Community Pool on the ballot for the General Election on November 6, 2012. The GRD plans to ask voters to approve 1-mill, 20-year levy that would secure land and construct the aquatic center and a .25-mill continuing operating levy.